International Conference Wednesday 2 and Thursday 3 November 2016,from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., UNESCO Paris, room XI "WORLD HERITAGE AND MUSEUMS"
A two-day conference to discuss the inherent links between World Heritage sites and museums related to these sites: museums as mediators, conveyers of Outstanding Universal Values, custodians of history and shared duties; museums as caretakers of World Heritage Sites, their integrity and drivers of sustainable social and environmental development.
I will be attending
Online RSVP mandatory
Conference in four sessions based on several case studies identified around the world:
· "Site museums as mediators, conveying sites’ Outstanding Universal Values, shared history and common duties" | Session I, Wednesday 02/11
· "Site Museums as Custodians of World Heritage Sites’ Integrity" | Session II, Wednesday 02/11
· "Increasing Relevance to Local Communities – Education and Participation" | Session III, Thursday 03/11
· "World Heritage Sites and Museums under Threat” | Session IV, Thursday 03/11
with the participation of:
· Francesco Bandarin, UNESCO Assistant Director-General for Culture
· Her Excellency Shaikha Mai bint Mohamed Al Khalifa, Chairperson of the Arab Regional Centre for World Heritage (ARCWH), Bahrain
· Hayet Guettat, Director of the Cultural Heritage Division of the Arab League Educational, Cultural and Scientific Organization (ALECSO), Tunis
· Suay Aksoy, President of the International Council of Museums (ICOM)
· Pierre Lombard, Chief of the French Archeological Mission in Bahreïn
· Nao Hayashi, UNESCO Museums Programme Coordinator
· Mohammed Sameh Antar, General Manager of the central parks of Egypt
· Mounir Bouchenaki, Director of the Arab Regional Centre for World Heritage (ARCWH)
· Azedine Beschaouch, Member of the Institut de France, Former Minister of Culture of Tunisia
· Hiroshi Sugiyama, Deputy Director-General of the National Research Institute for Cultural Properties (Nara), Japan
· Lilia Rivero, Director of the National Palace Museum, Mexico
· Anne-Catherine Robert-Hauglustaine, Director-General of the International Council of Museums (ICOM)
· Dimitrios Pandermalis, President of the Acropolis Museum, Greece
· Svetlana Persova, Deputy Minister of Culture of the Tatarstan Republic, Russian Federation
· Ibrahima Gueye, Director of Djoudj National Bird Sanctuary, Senegal
· Maamoun Abdulkarim, Director-General of Antiquities and Museums, Syria
· Assad Seif, Archaeologist, Advisor to the Lebanese Minister of Culture, Lebanon
· Andrea Bruno, Architect, Specialist in the rehabilitation of historic buildings, Italy
· Nada Al Hassan, Chief of the Arab Unit of UNESCO World Heritage Centre
· Baba Fallo Keita, Heritage Conservator, Former Director of the School of African Heritage (EPA, Mali)
Simultaneous interpretation will be provided in English and French.
The event is co-organized by UNESCO and ARCWH (Arab Regional Centre for World Heritage), in cooperation with ALECSO (Arab League Educational, Cultural and Scientific Organization), ICCROM (International Centre for the Study of the Preservation and Restoration of Cultural Property), ICOM (International Council of Museums), ICOMOS (International Council on Monuments and Sites) and IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature).
UNESCO House, room XI
125, avenue de Suffren, Paris 7e
M° Ségur-UNESCO, Cambronne ou École militaire
Bus: 28, 87, 80, 82
Doors will open at 9 :30 a.m.
Online RSVP mandatory : http://on.unesco.org/rsvp02031116
Visual: © Bahrain Authority for Culture and Antiquities - Qal’at Al Bahrain Site Museum